[fvc-wat-disc] The Government Wants To Know!

Laurel L. Russwurm laurel.l at russwurm.org
Wed Aug 3 18:41:56 EDT 2016

I disagree.  I expect Bob & I were the only people paying attention to
the Harper Government Copyright Consultation.  To me, that is the gold
standard of consultations.  They had online stuff but they also did a
physical cross Canada dog & pony show.

If the ERRE public dog & pony was coming here it would be NEWS.

Not only that it would be a sure thing, unlike your
"promised/threatened/dangled" Ministerial visit. What happens if the
Minister says, "I'll be there this afternoon at 1pm tomorrow and I can
give you 15 minutes.
(Which may be overly generous as lately I've heard of consultations
where people are allowed all of 3 minutes to speak).

Even if there is enough notice to round up people, the Minister coming
here for a private audience would be virtually invisible.
Even a public whistlestop a would rate a photo op.  If we're really
really lucky it might rate a sound bite on the local news.

Waterloo Region is a hotbed of electoral reformers.  This is EXACTLY the
kind of place the committee SHOULD come, because it can hear from a
bunch of ordinary people

As to where they *are* going: talk about disproportionality.

Ontario, the province with the largest population gets all of 1
committee visit when the smaller Québec gets 3.

Not fair.

Regards,
Laurel