[fvc-wat-disc] Region of Waterloo library, WPL

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 11 22:56:58 EDT 2016

I would omit the presenters. I do not think all of them (particularly
Ayr) are confirmed yet, and it is not particularly important to our
target audience. Similarly, I do not think that indicating "Meeting
Room C" is that important for the poster.

The KPL event requires registration. I have asked about the other
ones, but I sent my email after closing time. I do not know whether we
need to put that on our poster or not. (How does the KPL deal with
gatecrashers?)

The third stanza has the date and branch switched.

For the libraries I wrote out the following blurb, which I hope
indicates the intent:

---

Prime Minister Trudeau has promised to make "every vote count" in
future elections, and the process of electoral reform is currently
underway.  Why might the current electoral system benefit from reform?
What electoral reforms are being considered? What are their advantages
and disadvantages?  How is this electoral reform process structured?
How can we participate in this process?  Representatives from Fair
Vote Canada will address these issues and take your questions.

---

I always struggle to find punchy pithy phrases for posters, but I am
hoping to indicate that:

- Come learn about electoral reform.
- Justin Trudeau's government has promised to make "every vote count".
  (For some reason people's ears perk up when they hear the name
  "Justin Trudeau"). That process is happening now!
- Invite your family, neighbours and friends to learn as well (ie it
  would be nice if these events were attended by normal people and not
  just voting nerds).

Thanks for doing this, Laurel.

I have thought of a few other publicity ideas (both for the library
talks and for the Tuesday night consultations). First: is anybody good
at writing press releases? Maybe some press releases would be in
order. Second: has anybody gotten on the morning radio shows (at the
CBC or 570 News)?

- Paul

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 07:23:01PM -0400, Laurel L. Russwurm wrote:
> I can help create promo materials, putting together a 4x6 miniposter
> that can be available for Friday.  This would include minimal
> details (as below) with a link to the fairvote waterloo blog info
> page.
>
> Thursday, September 8th, 2016 ~ 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
> Kitchener Public Library ~ Central Library ~  Meeting Room C
> Presenter: Byron Weber Becker
>
> Wednesday September 21st, 2016 ~ 6:30-8:00pm
> Region of Waterloo Library ~ Elmira Branch
> Presenter: Bob Jonkman
>
> Region of Waterloo Library New Hamburg Branch
> Wednesday September 28th, 2016 ~ 6:30-8:00pm
> Presenter: Bob Jonkman
>
> Thursday September 29th, 2016 ~ 6:30-8:00pm
> Region of Waterloo Library ~ Ayr Branch
> Presenter: Donald Fraser
>
> Regards,
> Laurel
>

> .
> On 08/11/2016 03:54 PM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> >First, a followup: we have made the In Touch magazine with the KPL.
> >(They made a mistake and listed me as the presenter. I will get them
> >to correct that online.) I see their event listing on their calendar
> >(navigate to Sept 8): http://kplca.evanced.info/signup/Calendar
> >
> >The KPL event will require registration. Once the link is available we
> >should start promoting this heavily.
> >

> >Secondly, we have been booked for THREE Region of Waterloo library
> >presentations late in September:
> >
> >- Elmira: Wed, Sept 21, 6:30-8:00pm
> >- New Hamburg: Wed, Sept 28, 6:30-8:00pm
> >- Ayr: Thurs, Sept 29, 6:30-8:00pm
> >
> >We have the spots booked from 6pm, but we are supposed to use the
> >first half-hour for setup. I have heard from Bob Jonkman and Donald
> >Fraser that they are potentially interested in doing these sessions,
> >but maybe that does not preclude others from volunteering.
> >

> >I heard back from the WPL. They say they are full up with programming
> >already, but we could potentially rent a room. Their largest room is
> >$70/hour, I think. If we think we could get the turnout then I would
> >be willing to contribute to the cost, but if we don't think it is
> >worth it then I won't pursue this further. (I could also check in to
> >see what rooms are available at the Cambridge libraries.)
> >

> >The next big step is promotion. I am terrible at promotion, and could
> >use a LOT of help in getting the word out. Would you (yes, you!) be
> >willing to help get the word out about these events and the
> >consultations at the Queen Street Commons? Is there any chance we
> >could get some leaflets put together for Friday's event, so that
> >people could start spreading the word now? If turnout at these events
> >is terrible then we will look pretty bad.
> >
> >- Paul
> >

> --
> Laurel L. Russwurm, Author <http://laurel.russwurm.org/blogs/> §
> about.me <http://about.me/laurelrusswurm> § Libreleft Books
> <http://libreleft.com>

Electoral reform committee is happening! Submissions due Oct 7!
See http://fairvotewrc.ca for local events.