[fvc-wat-disc] So, what happened today with ERRE ?

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 23:27:56 EST 2016

You couldn't plan anything to make your own party look this bad if you
tried.

Platform promises are just a means of engagement?  A public, written
mandate letter that DOESN'T say what you, the author, says it says?  The
only ones not on board are the ones that campaigned to get elected on it?
A party that prides itself on evidence-based decision making (also, that
was a campaign promise but they mean nothing now) making fun of MATH?  How
shall they ever defend Climate Change is a thing if math is off the table?
Or unmuzzling scientists?  Kind of hard to be both unmuzzled and unable to
use math in your scientific arguments.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 9:47 PM, Eleanor Grant <eleanor7000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What a day!
>
> The 333-page report from ERRE came out around noon Dec 1:
> https://t.co/3dXxV2FMLi
>
> The key pages are:
> - 95, where PR is clearly recommended (tho in kind of obscure terminology),
> - 319 (in which govt response is urged), and
> - 321 to the end: the "Supplemental Reports" by Lib members of ERRE and
> NDP & Green members.
>
> It feels (to me anyway) like a team of horses pulling in opposite
> directions. The Liberal mbrs' report denies that a consensus on PR was
> reached, that Cdns were engaged, and that there is enough time to put a new
> system in place and familiarize the population with the issues by 2019.
>
> All afternoon, in the House and in media scrums, Minister Monsef repeated
> the same misrepresentations, in the very same words - plus insulting the
> committee and claiming they hadn't carried out their mandate. (Their
> mandate never had been to call for a specific voting system.)
>
> So a day of elation mixed with shock that the governing party would twist
> themselves into such pretzels to deny the obvious and doable recommendation
> of the committee.
>
> Anyone else get the feeling that this was planned all along, from the day
> they agreed to add members to ERRE to make it proportional?  Cdns have been
> taken for a big ride.
>
> Eleanor

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.