[fvc-wat-disc] Fair Vote presentation

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Feb 8 17:39:50 EST 2016

Gordon Divitt wrote:
> As long as anyone who uses it and makes changes keeps it 'open' I
don't see a problem

That kind of license is a "Share Alike" license, and definitely requires
someone to "own" the copyright so that it can be licensed.  The
advantage of a Public Domain dedication (or waiving rights) is that
people *can* use it in situations where attribution is not possible, for
example as part of an aggregate work, or use by a commercial broadcaster
For example, the CBC will not use Creative Commons licensed material
that's restricted for BY (Attribution), SA (Share Alike), ND (No
Derivatives allowed), or NC (No Commercial usage allowed).  A public
domain dedication will ensure wider distribution of the work, removes
any onus on us to protect or enforce a license, and it might not
require someone to "own" the rights after those rights have been
waived.

But the long and short of it is, the less restrictive the license, the
wider the distribution of the presentation.

Sean wrote:
> I was under the impression this project was the work of Fair Vote
> Canada Waterloo Region Chapter (FVCWRC).

The reason for naming Byron (or another person) as the copyright holder
is so that the copyright can be waived. The Fair Vote Canada Waterloo
Region Chapter is not a legal entity (it's not a non-profit
organization, not an incorporated entity; nothing, really...) and so
it has no rights it can use to claim copyright that it can waive.

The wording on slide 48 seems OK to me. I would add one of the CC0
badges, but having the link is good.

- --Bob.