[fvc-wat-disc] Discussion Night, 29 February at Egg Roll King

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 20:19:37 EST 2016

Hi Paul.  I get lost in the math.  Are you saying STV except skip the part
where we move surplus votes from winning candidates?  Because I can get
behind that, as long as it works.  I shall trust you've done something in
the math that makes it work :)  Further to that, are you saying the surplus
votes that elected a candidate, are therefore exhausted?  Because that has
always struck me as fair, although I understood that it leaves remaining
and still eligible candidates with too few votes to reach the threshold.
And that doesn't strike me as fair so I was willing to go with the
percentage of surplus transfer kind of thing.  I definitely think it is
unfair to count the last ballots (after threshold has been reached) for the
next choice on it, because that strikes me as getting two votes.

But I very much like STV.

Jenn

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Paul Schellenberg <pjschell at sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>         I oppose STV because of the role of surplus votes. Though there
> are different ways to deal the surplus votes, all of them appear to be
> flawed, as far as I can see.
>
> Here is a way to implement STV that eliminates surplus votes.
>
> A Variation on STV
> ===============
>
> C - the number of candidates to be elected in the riding
> B - total number of valid ballots
> election threshold - B/(C+1) + 1
>
> INITIAL ITERATION:
> Use voters' first choices to determine the candidates who meet the
> “election threshold” and are elected.
> If C candidates are elected, the election is complete.
> If no candidate has been elected, the candidate with the smallest number
> of votes is rejected. (This step is essential.)
>
> GENERAL ITERATION:
> Definition: We say a ballot is EXHAUSTED if every ranked candidate on the
> ballot has been rejected or has been elected.
> Let B* = B - (the number of exhausted ballots)
> Let C* =  C - (the number of elected candidates)
> The new election threshold is B*/(C*+1) + 1
> Definition: A candidate is said to be ELIGIBLE if he or she has not yet
> been elected or rejected.
> EVERY non-exhausted ballot is assigned to the eligible candidate having
> the highest ranking.
> Count the ballots for each eligible candidate.
> Any candidate who meets the new election threshold B*/(C*+1) + 1 is
> declared elected.
> If C candidates are elected, the election is complete.
> If no candidate is elected in this iteration, the candidate with the
> smallest number of votes is rejected. (This step is essential.)
> Iterate.
>
> (Note that, in each iteration, every ballot that is not exhausted is
> counted.)
>
> Paul Schellenberg
>
> On Feb 24, 2016, at 5:57 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

> > Hi Donald: Yes, please bring your sample ballots.
> >
> > I've put the ballots from our mock election last Discussion Night at
> > http://www.fairvotewrc.ca/resources/election-simulation/  I can add
> > your sample ballots if you send me the files.
> >
> > I didn't do a good job of counting the STV ballots from our mock
> > election last time, so I want to count them again, this time following
> > a recipe, or several different recipes, and seeing the difference.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counting_single_transferable_votes
> >
> > For those people not interested in the mechanics of counting ballots
> > there's lots of other stuff to discuss, such as the apparent support
> > for anything-but-FPTP from our Minister of Democratic Institutions:
> >

> http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/monsef-electoral-reform-changes-referendum-1.3428593
> >
> > Or the renewed enthusiasm for electoral reform in Prince Edward Island:
> >

> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/voting-reform-elections-meetings-1.3455222
> >
> > See you all next Monday!
> >
> > - --Bob.

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.