[fvc-wat-disc] Seminar at UofW CACR: Diego F. Aranha - Security analysis of Brazilian voting machines

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Jul 18 14:01:10 EDT 2016

For anyone interested in Electronic Voting -- one of things on which
the Special Committee on Electoral Reform will make a recommendation
in December.

As with every report from computer scientists, I expect this will
provide plenty of evidence that electronic voting is not feasible. I
hope the Committee listens...

- --Bob.

=====
UofW CACR: Diego F. Aranha - Security analysis of Brazilian voting
machines
http://cacr.uwaterloo.ca/seminars.html
University of Waterloo Centre for Applied Cryptographic Research

Diego Aranha is visiting Waterloo. Please join us for a seminar this
Thursday July 21 at 2:00 pm in MC6486. You can find the abstract and
Diego's bio below.

Title: Security analysis of Brazilian voting machines

Abstract: This talk presents a security analysis of the Brazilian
voting machine software based on our participation in official
restricted tests organized in 2012 by the national electoral
authority. During the event, vulnerabilities in the software were
detected and explored, with significant impact on ballot secrecy and
integrity. We present scenarios where these vulnerabilities allow
electoral fraud and suggestions to restore the security of the
affected mechanisms. We also discuss how a crowdsourcing approach was
used to partially verify the transmission of results in 2014 and
improvements for upcoming elections.

Bio: Diego F. Aranha is an Assistant Professor in the Institute of
Computing at the University of Campinas (Unicamp). He holds a PhD
degree in Computer Science from the University of Campinas and has
worked as a visiting PhD student for 1 year at the University of
Waterloo, and for 2 years as Adjunct Professor in the Department of
Computer Science at the University of Brasília. His professional
experience is on Cryptography and Computer Security, with special
interest in the efficient implementation of cryptographic algorithms
and security analysis of real world systems. Received the Google Latin
America Research Award for research on privacy and MIT TechReview's
Innovators Under 35 Brazil for his work in electronic voting.

When
Thu Jul 21, 2016 2pm – 3pm Eastern Time
Where
MC 6486, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- --

- --