[fvc-wat-disc] Waterloo Region MP's Submission To The Electoral Reform Committee

daviddirks at rogers.com daviddirks at rogers.com
Mon Nov 7 10:16:06 EST 2016

Ok, I read the document. A few thoughts.

I was disappointed in the evening given the amount of time devoted to mandatory and electronic voting. The summary suggests a greater emphasis was given to FPTP and alternatives than I felt we should have had.  And the background provided before we finally got to this topic was v confusing.

In terms of voter frustration and low turnout, I did not hear civic literacy as an issue.  Rather I heard a robust discussion in my group over the feeling that parties do not address the concerns of voters in an honest and mature manner, engaging them in meaningful discussion and consideration of the issues.

I did not hear us land on AV or STV.  Certainly I heard a strong consensus on some form of PR.  I did not hear anyone link AV to PR.  This is bothersome.

I did not hear opposition to multiple MPs in a riding.

Of course we do not have access to the notes from the evening.

Thank you, Sharon for this bringing this forward.