[fvc-wat-disc] NDP open to referendum...

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 20:32:32 EST 2016

It is Fair Vote Canada's position that, no referendum that includes FPTP,
unless done two or three elections after using a proportional system.

I may not have that verbatim, but it is pretty darn close.

And to further the context; consider that opponents to PR have taxpayer
money they are spending.  As the civil society advocates, we are spending
our own money.  We have played the referendum game four times now.  Twice
we won the referendum, but lost the goal.  Most recently as this very
month, in PEI.

There is no way to win proportional representation with a referendum.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Dave Arthur <arthurd23 at bell.net> wrote:

> I still fear a referendum of a public that is uninformed could spell the
> end of reform for many years.
> If the government carries out an information campaign, including with
> their postcard mailout, that presents the input given to the committee
> throughout the last months, maybe it would succeed as did PEI.
> Dave A

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.