[fvc-wat-disc] NDP open to referendum...

Laurel L. Russwurm laurel.l at russwurm.org
Wed Nov 16 20:20:10 EST 2016

Dear Dave:

Although Proportional Representation carried the day in PEI, the
government is now suggesting it doesn't count because only 36
% of voters voted.  (Of course they were happy to accept the result of
the  previous electoral reform referendum where 36% of voters chose to
keep the status quo.)   There are an infinite number of ways to kill
electoral reform with a referendum.

The reality is the Conservative mailout got abysmal response which ought
to have resulted in them backing down.

If anything we need more pressure now than during the consultation.

Regards,
Laurel

.

On 11/16/2016 07:00 PM, Dave Arthur wrote:
> I still fear a referendum of a public that is uninformed could spell
> the end of reform for many years.
> If the government carries out an information campaign, including with
> their postcard mailout, that presents the input given to the committee
> throughout the last months, maybe it would succeed as did PEI.
> Dave A

♦ *Laurel L. Russwurm, Author <http://laurel.russwurm.org/blogs/>*  ♦
*Libreleft Books* <http://libreleft.com> ♦ *Laurel L. Russwurm's Free
Culture Blog <https://laurelrusswurm.wordpress.com/>*  ♦ *Libreleft