[fvc-wat-disc] An Idea

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 12:53:17 EST 2017

Have to agree with Bob.  Fair Vote will be pointing out we still have two
parties, and in fact we are talking about pushing them into going into an
Alliance ON proportional representation.--not a merger or even a
cooperative as Anita and I tried once before.  But that's for those parties
to decide.  Every individual will have to decide for themselves whether to
join, volunteer for, vote for one of the two--and which one.  Fair Vote
cannot take sides on that.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

> I had hoped we have all learned our lesson about the effectiveness of
> strategic voting -- it doesn't work.
>
> Fair Vote itself is multi-partisan, and cannot endorse one party over
> another. Besides, there are too many members with affiliations to other
> parties to make strategic voting for one party acceptable. We'd lose more
> members than would be left to make strategic votes.
>
> Leadnow may be more amenable to your suggestion.
>
> --Bob.
>
> On February 2, 2017 10:04:45 AM EST, Donald Fraser <
> donaldafraser at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I sent this suggestion to Leadnow HQ and I wonder if Jenn could pass it
>> on for FVC  discussion.
>>
>> Also, what do the rest of you think?
>>
>> =====================
>>
>> All of us Waterloo Fair Voters are devastated, but I have an idea.
>>
>> Why not  harness all the energy and enthusiasm of Fair Vote Canada and
>> Leadnow to work for and strategically vote for an NDP government in the
>> next election (with the unwavering solid promise from Tom Mulcair or the
>> next leader NOT to do what Justin just did) as a means to get MMPR which is
>> the version preferred by the NDP. It means one more
>> strategic-vote-election, but it would be the last.
>>
>> We would need to appeal to all our members (FVC and Leadnow) while the
>> iron is hot BEFORE they go back to their respective parties. We would be
>> asking them to BE partisan (NDP) for one term but if we succeeded, then we
>> could from then on go back to voting for our parties of choice.
>>
>> An additional advantage is that we would have the national organization
>> of the NDP to help educate the public about MMPR, which they would
>> certainly do since it would be part of their platform.
>>
>> This happened in New Zealand ... the Labour government promised an
>> election reform referendum and then sat on it and did nothing (like the
>> Liberals). The National Party sensed a weakness and campaigned on a
>> referendum themselves (possibly like the NDP) . They won and had to go
>> through with the referendum which meant that NZ had a trial of 4 terms with
>> MMPR. After that a referendum was held to see if the voters liked it ...
>> they did and now NZ has MMPR permanently.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/.../Electoral_reform_in_New_Zealand
>> <https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FElectoral_reform_in_New_Zealand&h=ATNKcX-jNpeOYKCj1wpEKOwKdaqCKR6xUCefrwhstvcdAWO9FZxNYSxvIf6-gSsnxfDMYuKBIT_FaZcSk_MgjpDr0PnCoDUSYMa6kIOa1CpcHFOoHWemkjxpdKT5xH5jifc>
>>

> --
>
> Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> Phone: +1-519-635-9413 <(519)%20635-9413>
> SOBAC Microcomputer Services http://sobac.com/sobac/
> Software --- Office & Business Automation --- Consulting
> GnuPG Fngrprnt:04F7 742B 8F54 C40A E115 26C2 B912 89B0 D2CC E5EA

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.