[fvc-wat-disc] article in today's Globe and Mail Focus section

Evan Rosamond erosamond at worldline.ca
Tue Feb 14 17:28:11 EST 2017

Yes, I read it but it left me confused. What's this guy's point? So I
read it again, and I don't think there is a point. The connection
between a voting system (FPTP) and any particular political outcome is
never established in this badly-composed argument. E.g. would WLM King
still have been PM if PR had been in place? What it says about other
voting systems is very little and mostly wrong. If the title is supposed
to be the topic, the whole piece is off topic.

You know how some Americans want to fight the civil war over again? It
seems to me that MacDonald wants to fight the rebellion of 1837 over
again. He'd be on the Family Compact side, good stable government
without any riffraff.

It would be much more instructive to summarize the history looking at
the make-up of parliament (true majority, false majority, minority,
wrong-way minority). We know that with PR false majorities will normally
be reduced to minorities and wrong-way outcomes should disappear. I
would argue that Harper's false majority (2011) was worse than either of
his minorities (2006, 2008) and that Pierre Trudeau's minority (1972)
was his best, and his last and worst (1980) was another false majority.
In my view the gold standard for government effectiveness was Pearson's
2 terms (1963-1968), both minorities.

Q&A: No, I don't think MacDonald's makes sense. Yes, you are missing
whatever it was that might have explained his thesis but which he didn't
include.

Take some salt with that as I don't have an expert political mind as far
as I know.

Please don't ask me to write a critique or refutation. Life's too short.

Evan