[fvc-wat-disc] Annual General Meeting: Wed, 21 June 2017

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Jun 28 17:04:29 EDT 2017

I was hoping no-one would ask that :-)   We shuffled the ballots
before the first count, hoping for a random distribution of votes;
since Sharon's pile was built randomly the second choices should have
been distributed randomly.

Yes, an arithmetical approach would have been ideal. And with a large
enough number of ballots, the results of a random selection of 7/9th
of the ballots should closely approximate the arithmetical result. But
with only 11 ballots cast it is possible that selecting a different
set of 7 may have had different results.

It would have been more significant if there were more nominees vying
for a small number of positions. As it turns out, even Shannon Adshade
is happy with the result, so I hope no-one contests the election results.

I did try to explain the surplus vote selection to a couple of people
who asked later in the evening. With a larger attendance at the AGM
there would also have been questions about determining the quota ("Why
not a Hare quota?", "Why not use the 'ceiling((votes+1)/(seats+1))'
Droop quota?"), and concerns about adherence to Condorcet outcomes...

- --Bob