[fvc-wat-disc] Annual General Meeting: Wed, 21 June 2017

Anita Nickerson anitann88 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 20:45:58 EDT 2017

Agreed, Dave.

It's the same with MMP. There are a sizable number of people in NZ,
Scotland and Wales - probably more so in the latter two - who do not
understand how the constituency and list seats are counted, the importance
of the party list vote relative to the constituency vote (which is kinda
crucial) and *HOW *those two votes result in the outcome in the
legislature.

That doesn't stop them from being able to use the system effectively.

The biggest problem has been in Wales where the issue of dual candidacy has
become - from what I've read so far in about four articles - a rather nasty
partisan struggle since 1999 with a mostly confused electorate (most of
whom don't follow the issue at all anyway) and the big parties allowing it,
allowing it but one of the big parties not doing it to make the other party
who relies mostly on list seats look bad, banning it, then allowing it
again and now they're all using it. Culture takes time to change...

The bland academic perspective on voter comprehension of MMP counting in
Scotland and Wales (and many other things related to the transition to MMP):

*http://www.victoria.ac.nz/law/centres/nzcpl/publications/nz-journal-of-public-and-international-law/previous-issues/volume-71,-june-2009/bradbury.pdf
<http://www.victoria.ac.nz/law/centres/nzcpl/publications/nz-journal-of-public-and-international-law/previous-issues/volume-71,-june-2009/bradbury.pdf>*
"

*Equally, there  is evidence that many voters do not fully understand how
the electoral systems work, leading to confusion over how to use the party
list vote. In Scotland there is considerable evidence that many
voters see the second vote, which helps to determine the allocation of
regional list seats, as a second preference vote. Equally,
there is widespread lack of understanding as to how these second votes
influence the  overall electoral outcome  of an  election. The  2007
Scottish  election suffered  particular problems  when the first
and second votes were joined together on one ballot paper and the
election was held  simultaneously with local government elections.
The number of rejected ballot papers was unusually  high at just over 4 per
cent for constituency votes and just under 3 per cent for regional list
votes.In addition, in both Scotland and Wales there have been claims that
voters do not understand how defeated  constituency candidates have  been
able  to be  elected  as  list representatives. Since  the  Government of
Wales Act 2006 (UK) this is no longer possible in Wales, but
in Scotland this can  still occur. Consequently, while  MMP  has  received
a  generally favourable reaction  from the  electorate,
there have been problems in both understanding
and implementation in Scotland  and Wales. The  public are aware of how
MMP has underpinned changes in party representation after elections; has
given  rise to new dynamics  for executive  formation  that have  made
coalition  and  minority  governments more common; has created some changes
in the kinds of people who represent them; and has created
Parliament/Assembly arithmetic in which opposition parties
can influence policy.*"

In Ireland, they had a Citizens Assembly in 2013 - it was 66 citizens and
34 TDs. They looked at whether to replace PR-STV with MMP.

They opted to keep PR-STV - 79 for STV, 20 for MMP, 1 abstention.

Overall, citizens in Ireland are happy with their electoral system,* even
if they don't fully understand how the counting works after the fact.*

Not because it's not understandable, but mainly because most people don't
care enough to look into it. I suspect it's the same in Scotland and Wales.

People know how to use it.

Most of them get the basic idea that it creates fairer results and
coalition/minoirty governments rather than one party governments.

In Ireland the public sees this as a GOOD THING (my favourite new poster -
"One Party Government - no thanks!" I borrowed from an Irish election). I
betcha in Germany it's the same thing.

In Scotland and Wales I would *guess *because MMP is so much newer there
and because they ALSO vote with FPTP for Westminster elections and are
therefore still heavily immersed in that political culture, that the
feelings towards coalitions are more mixed.

*I long ago concluded that as passionate as we are about this, we're
fighting for something that most people are never going to understand
because they have other things to do with their lives. *
That's the same with any policy.

That doesn't make it any less important.

In some ways, the fact that so many people are tuned out of politics makes
PR even more important.

Anita