[fvc-wat-disc] Arguing for PR

Dave Arthur arthurd23 at bell.net
Mon May 1 13:30:17 EDT 2017

Hi Jay and everyone.
We’re still hopeful that the campaigning and letter-writing will sway enough Liberal MPs to vote to go with the ERRE recommendations at the end of May.
It’s a long shot.
I have to believe most will vote the party line and with Justin’s decision.
I think we all believe the Liberal promise was based on their vision that the change would be to alternative vote/ranked ballot that would give them, the centrist party, a huge advantage.
When that was rejected by ERRE witnesses and town hall meetings as obviously self-serving, they looked for any way to avoid electoral reform.
Despite the fact that there was clear consensus for PR from witnesses and Canadians who made themselves informed and attended the meetings, the Liberals used the unfortunate fact that many Canadians were not interested, were uninformed, or preferred our unfair system that gave their Liberal or Conservative parties an advantage, to claim there was no consensus.
There is a reason Canada ranks low for voter turnout and for low percentage of women in parliament (although it is showing some improvement).
Many of us have met with our local MPs.
I’ve met with Bardish twice and been very disappointed with her style of engagement.
Chantal Hebert’s recent column in The Star hit it pretty well when she said Bardish has perfected the art of giving unhelpful answers with a smile.
The responses to my presentation to her were defensive, completely irrelevant and factually inaccurate.
When I mentioned that 90% of EU and OECD countries use PR, she said “We shouldn’t change our system just because someone else does”.
When I mentioned that the Ontario Citizens’ Assembly recommended MMP in the Ontario referendum ten years ago that lost, she said it was because “the voices against the change did a better job than the voices for”.
This in spite of the fact that polls at the time showed 50% of Ontarians didn’t know what the referendum was about and 70% didn’t know what MMP was.
This was in part due to the McGuinty government’s total failure in publicizing the issue or educating Ontarians.
When I explained my great disappointment that they broke their promise and that, unless they demonstrate continuation of working toward reforming our voting system, I will not vote Liberal or campaign as I did with Leadnow in the last election, she said “Is that a threat?”
It’s difficult committing to one party.  The Conservatives are no longer “progressive”.
The Liberals have not yet delivered.
The Chretien Liberals signed onto the Earth Summit’s Kyoto Protocol in 1992 and then for 14 years did absolutely nothing.
It’s interesting that some years ago the Sierra Club under Elizabeth May named Brian Mulroney Canada’s most environmental PM following the international and successful Montreal Protocol banning CFCs.
With PR I believe Green support would jump considerably from the almost 10% support they received in 2008 (which under FPTP won zero seats).
Anyway, let’s keep doing what we can to move electoral reform along.
Dave A