[fvc-wat-disc] Trudeau spending the day with the Irish Taoiseach

Anita Nickerson anitann88 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 22:35:32 EDT 2017

I agree, Dave.

Voters can use STV no problem, they can see what local reps they elected,
most probably know it's proportional (they call it PR-STV). Good enough.

Since the MMP was implemented in NZ they've done assessments at different
times of how much people understand MMP. I remember there are still quite a
few people who don't understand that the party vote is more important than
the constituency vote or how that works. I doubt many could explain the
formula to award the list seats. Without ongoing explanations, if they have
no good civics program in schools (like here) I'm sure they are always
producing new voters who don't understand their system either but can still
use it.

I don't think that a majority of people in Canada could explain how 39% of
the vote can get 55% of the seats, and some don't understand even the
basics of how our system works now, like whether their vote does anything.
Some people think it works proportionally now - a good percentage - because
it makes intuitive sense. Most have never thought of it.

A good number of people probably don't wonder how the milk hits the shelf
in their grocery store, either, but they still buy it.

I saw a poll by Forum last year where 12% of people told them* we use the
ranked ballot system now*.

Unless you've never voted, not sure how you could think that.

This idea that that there has to be this massive education program where
people have to understand a voting system before change can go ahead (or
enough people have to jump up and down and show how knowledgeable and
excited they are about voting systems) is something politicians invent to
prevent change.

It makes them sound very democratic while giving them the excuse they want
to do nothing.

I betcha anything that Canada's had more electoral reform commissions than
any OECD country now.

I don't want our government to wait until I or my neighbour is sufficiently
educated or sufficiently excited to follow evidenced-based policy, make
good decisions and implement fairer programs for anything else. Only a
niche market understands or cares about ANY issue in depth, so based on
that formula, nothing would get done.

Those standards of public understanding and engagement, for good reason,
conveniently don't apply to anything else.

Anita