[fvc-wat-disc] AUTOMATION: Tell Your MP To Vote For Electoral Reform On May 31st

Laurel L. Russwurm laurel.l at russwurm.org
Tue May 16 15:21:48 EDT 2017

Dear All:

Bob was going to try to say something here, but he's really busy and I
see he hasn't yet, so I will throw out his concerns (that I remember he
mentioned... I expect he'll weigh in when he gets a chance.)

    Where did this system come from?  Who is doing it, what are they
    doing with the personal information they are collecting, where is
    the privacy policy?

These are all serious issues.  Those of you involved with political
parties may be aware of the seriousness of protecting the personal
information parties get from the voters list they are given access to
during elections.  Third Party organizations like FVC WRC need to take
care both to adhere to privacy law and to ensure that supporter's
personal data is not abused.

I once put a great deal of energy in getting people to sign a petition,
but the individual who was maintaining it decided to share the personal
data on the list with another likeminded organization so it could
contact the signers about the issue.. Which was all well and good...
except that other organization continued to use that list to spam the
signers for other things, which I heard about when people I had
encouraged to sign began complaining to me about the abuse of their
personal privacy.

If FVC WRC is supporters to this anonymous site and telling them to use
this system, FVC can certainly be blamed, discredited (and possibly even
held to account legally) if some privacy law transgression of that
nature transpires.

Regards,
Laurel

♦ *Laurel L. Russwurm, Author <http://laurel.russwurm.org/blogs/>*  ♦