[fvc-wat-disc] Possibly dumb question on FPTP...

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 17:36:55 EST 2018

I watched an interesting Ted Talk from Elizabeth May on this just the other
day.  Because, one of the things I had been using was the fact that I can
vote in these horse races by way of making a bet.  And you know what?  I
can WIN even though my horse wasn't the first past the post!

I started to write it, but Elizabeth May is a LOT better in explaining
things than I am, so I'll leave it to her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwsSDynCcc

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 4:41 PM, Dave Arthur <arthurd23 at bell.net> wrote:

> Hi Jay
>
> The term comes from horse racing where the first horse that passes the
> post wins and all the others lose and get nothing.
>
> That’s just what happens in each riding where the candidate that gets the
> most votes wins and the other candidates lose and all the votes that they
> received have no influence on the overall results whatsoever.
>
> The idea is that all votes should have some effect on the overall
> representation which is what PR achieves.
>
> Dave

> Windows 10

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.