[fvc-wat-disc] Even NDP win won't stop Ford

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 21:47:55 EDT 2018

Evan, this is fabulous.  How quickly do you think you could do a similar
efficiency model from the actual election results?

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Evan Rosamond <erosamond at worldline.ca>
wrote:

> Sharon, you are right about Erin Kelly's non-explanation of Poli. I think
> she's got a lot of virtual voters running around inside a VLC (very large
> computer), but I could be wrong. At any rate, Artificial Intelligence is
> cool, partly because nobody can understand it. However, Poli's forecasts
> seem to agree pretty closely with Eric Grenier's, so maybe there's some
> accuracy there.
>
> Eleanor, yes we do need PR because of that 'efficiency' thing. I find the
> term misleading. It seems to make a case that odd results are OK because of
> something virtuous that the parties have done. There is no truth to that.
> Here's an explanation of efficiency using numbers from Grenier's poll
> tracker this afternoon.
>
> *Party* *Popular Vote * *Proportional Seats* *Projected Seats* *Power of
> a Vote*
> NDP 0.361 45 48
> 1.067
> PC 0.376 47 74 1.574
> Lib 0.199 25 2
> 0.080
> Grn 0.050 6 0 0.000
> Oth 0.014 2 0 0.000
>
> 1.000 124 124
>
> The Power of a Vote column is the ratio of Projected/Elected Seats to
> Proportional Seats. This represents the relative power of a single vote for
> each party. So the PCs stand to gain a 57% bonus. This is said to be
> efficient because PC votes are spread across the province fairly evenly.
> But look at the Liberals. They also have spread out votes, but 92% of them
> won't count.
>
> Evan
>

> On 6/4/2018 11:21 PM, Sharon Sommerville wrote:
>
> Thank you Eleanor.  The interview is certainly enlightening &
> discouraging.  If this election produces a "Wrong winner" government, some
> people will begin to understand that the electoral system delivered the
> Ford win, not the voters.  Cold comfort but may, in the long run, be
> helpful for some to finally recognize that electoral reform as an important
> necessity.
>
> Ms. Kelly spoke about the kind of issue that might affect Ford's support
> in the last 6 days of the election; could Renate Ford's lawsuit be that
> issue? Perhaps in combination with the PC candidate who is being accused of
> threatening 19 Tamils in his riding?  Or am I grasping desperately at
> straws?
>
> And despite Ms. Kelly's explanation I don't understand how Poli works and
> how accurate has Poli's projections proven to be in recent elections?
> Traditional polls have proven themselves to be unreliable of late.
>
> Hopefully yours,
> Sharon
>
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Eleanor Grant <eleanor7000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Fair Voters:
>>
>> Have you been watching poll analyst Erin Kelly on TVO The Agenda? She
>> claims that even if the NDP wins the popular vote, there will still be a
> [...]

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.