[fvc-wat-disc] Any activism in Ontario?

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Tue May 8 09:27:47 EDT 2018

Hi Jay!!

Thanks for the question.  At Fair Vote Canada, we are struggling a bit with
how much we can do.  We have BC and PEI referendums coming up which is
taking a lot of our resources.  The real problem with an election is that
the amount of money that can be spent is extremely limited before requiring
an audit.  And an audit costs in excess of $3,000, plus they don't actually
do any of the work, such as filing the Elections forms.  And if we are a
Third-Party, we require a CFO, which I am refusing to do.  Anyway, while I
did it three times as a volunteer, we are not going to be so lucky in
future and as it is a role with a great deal of responsibility and personal
risk (much worse than before), it won't come cheap.  In fact, we weren't
able to find someone at all.  Anyway, a lot of money before we've actually
done anything.

So YES we are still working for PR in Ontario.  But we are not mounting a
big campaign about it.  Do tell friends, family, neighbours, people at the
grocery store, etc., to ask candidates when they come knocking on the
door.  Do go to as many all-candidates debates as you can to ensure the
question is asked of the candidates there.  Do not let them get away with
the idea that nobody is asking about this issue.  If you personally want to
print off a few brochures of your own design, we can hardly tell an
individual what to do.  Please ensure it does not say Fair Vote Canada on
it.  Or, if you want to make a LIMITED number of copies of flyers we
already have for this purpose, please clear it with Anita.  We can spend a
bit, but that is all of Ontario, not just Waterloo Region so we need to be
extremely careful.

Thanks!!

Jenn

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Jay Judkowitz <judkowitz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning, FVC!
>
> It seems that having PR provincially would be a big deal for us now...
>
> A Macleans-Pollara poll released on the morning of the debate again put
> Ford’s Conservatives in the lead, at 40 per cent support, but showed the
> NDP surging into second, with 30-per-cent backing, and the Liberals
> trailing in third place at 23 per cent.
>
> As we've seen nationally, 40% of votes can equal >50% of the seats and
> 100% of the power.  Doug Ford with 100% power is terrifying.  I'd much
> prefer even a coalition of the majority between Liberal and NDP no matter
> how fractious that coalition would be.
>
> Are we working at all on provincial politics or only federal?
>
> Thanks!

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.