[fvc-wat-disc] Karen Redman comments on ranked ballots

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 21:15:21 EDT 2018

Hi Jonathan,

You are being most open minded toward Karen.  My thinking is based on a
specific conversation about RB she & I had a couple of years ago in which
she clearly stated her support for RB.  I pointed out that in an election
for 4 seats in a single jurisdiction such the election for regional
councillors here in Waterloo Region, RB would become STV.  At the time, she
said she would be okay with that.  As a long time Liberal politician, she
might well support ranked ballots.

We often expect experienced politicians to know about electoral systems and
many don't.  Karen may not even have known what I was referring to when I
said RB would become STV, but as an experienced politician she went with
the flow.  In this most current situation on Reddit, she homogenized the
issue and then did a pivot.   A classic political move to not be pinned
down by any definitive position.

On another occasion she asked me why do we need electoral reform?  Her
point being that FPTP is fine.  It is a bit hard to say what Karen thinks
about electoral reform but we can be fairly certain that it isn't very high
on her list of priorities.  In fact she stated during this campaign that
she doesn't have any priorities and will be guided by what the electorate
wants...  uh huh.... right... listen I have some land here, looks a bit
like a swamp at the moment but it is for sale and the LRT is going to be
going right by here....

Cheers,
S.