[fvc-wat-disc] Can anyone attend a meeting with Catherine Fife @ 1130 on Aug 23rd?

Jonathan Cassels cassels.jon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 16:18:20 EDT 2019

Hi Everyone,
I've set up a meeting with Catherine Fife at her office in Waterloo on
August 23rd at 11:30am. I'm looking for a small number of local FVC people
who would be willing and able to attend with me.

This meeting is part of an effort to get the Ontario NDP to set up a PR
Strategy Committee, and to appoint an MPP as an Electoral Reform critic at
Queen's Park. For various reasons, the timing seems right for us to push
for this right now, so that's what we're doing.

I'm sure this will be discussed in detail at our meeting next Monday, but
the short version is that some members of FVC (myself included) met with
Michael Balagus (Andrea Horwath's chief of staff) and he seemed receptive.
We're now meeting with a number of MPPs to build enthusiasm for the general
idea in caucus and (if we're lucky) convince some MPPs that Electoral
Reform Critic is a role they'd like.

Ideally, I'd like us to go as a group of 3-5. Anyone is welcome, but MPPs
listen closer if the people speaking are from their riding -- so the more
people who live in Waterloo the better. Also, since this meeting is trying
to influence NDPs internal policy, I'd *prefer* it if a majority of the
people who attend support the NDP.

Please let me know quickly if you're interested in attending. Catherine's
office is asking me for numbers.

Thanks,
Jonathan Cassels