[fvc-wat-disc] An Interesting Week For PR

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 10:18:05 EST 2019

Hello Everyone,

This past week we learned that the Trudeau government did not appoint a
minister to the portfolio of Democratic Institutions thereby disbanding the
ministry and all pretense of being interested in the democratic process.

The Angus Reid Institute released a poll which indicated that support for
PR has skyrocketed since our recent federal election particularly among
Conservative supporters.

http://angusreid.org/electoral-reform-trend/

The CBC just released archival footage of former Prime MInister, Pierre
Trudeau stating his view that Canada should move on the recommendations of
the Pepin-Robarts Commission report (1977) and institute proportional
representation.  Trudeau makes some excellent points!

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/when-pierre-trudeau-said-canada
-needed-proportional-representation-1.5358177

Our monthly meeting is this Wed. evening at 7 pm at the Civic Hub.  Jay
Judkowitz & David Dirks will give a presentation on the work of PR4PR, a
Toronto based group that presents the need for proportional representation
in a different framework.  The Civic Hub is in the lower level of St.
John's Anglican Church, 23 Water Street in Kitchener.  Entrance is on Duke
Street.

And, a large group of fair vote supporters is to visit with Raj Saini this
Wed. at 11:30.  So large a group that a larger space is needed.  If you
would like to attend and want more details please contact Anita Nickerson
at:

anita.nickerson at fairvote.ca

All the best,
Sharon