[fvc-wat-disc] agenda for Wednesday's meeting

Anita Nickerson anitann88 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 15:26:49 EST 2020

Hey everyone! Re: Council of Canadians.

First, they are our longest time and most consistent civil society group
ally.

Recently one of our other FVC chapter leaders and C of C members,
responding to a request for money from C of C, complained to them that
they're not campaigning for electoral reform. This is the response he got
from one of the "Supporter and Member Services" staff:

*We are terrifically grateful for your generous support of the Council over
the years.*

*I understand, I think, your frustration with the Council’s lack of
“effort” in advocating for proportional representation. We absolutely do
support PR and believe it to be a more truly democratic electoral system.
That said, at this time, we simply don’t have the mandate and resources to
undertake additional work in the area.*

A quick look through their website and a five minute view of their last AGM
showed:

- they have 28 staff
- their annual budget is 3.8 million

Soo.... every year apparently (Mary can confirm) chapter resolutions can go
to their AGM.

I suggested to this leader that several C of C chapters might like to put
forward a resolution that C of C actively support FVC's call for a National
Citizens' Assembly (either by promoting our campaign or their own push for
it). The AGM isn't till June, so if this happens, it might not be in time
for the next election.

A lot of our chapter folks are ALSO in local C of C chapters - and they
have been the most active on the ground with our teams - so I think there
would be support for this.

Anyway, two days ago, the C of C tweeted our card action - YAY!!

https://twitter.com/CanadiansOrg/status/1330247176262471681

I reached out to their two EDs to say thank you for the support and they
responded.

So that's where it's at.

It's ALWAYS good to remind any group you're involved with why they should
actively support PR :)

Anita

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 8:49 AM Mary Jackes <mkj at bell.net> wrote:

> Thanks Cathy for the link to the webinar.  I think I'll spend my evening
> with the webinar.
>
> We just had a Council of Canadians regional meeting with some interesting
> national input.  The chairman of the board suggested that we all work on
> childcare and pharmacare on the assumption that there will be a spring
> election.  Someone (David Lubell perhaps?) suggested that electoral reform
> needs to be included, and everyone at the meeting agreed to that. So my
> only contribution to the FairVote meeting tomorrow night would be that ER
> will be pushed by CoC.
>
> Locally CoC has not been meeting but we need to have an AGM very soon, and
> plan to find out who turns up (no one from KW - but us - has been turning
> up to the regional meetings) and get thoughts on the three issues.  If no
> one turns up then we'd simply make sure that CoC - which pushes
> collaboration - is fully aware of FVC and its resources. In fact, from the
> regional meetings I already know that some keen FVers are also keen CoCers.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Mary
> On 2020-11-24 8:21 a.m., Cathy Scott wrote:
>
> Hi, All,
>
> You will have seen the email from Peter KH, with the articles on the topic
> of *municipal powers, *which will be discussed at our monthly Zoom
> meeting tomorrow.
> There is also a webinar by Democracy Now on this same topic , starting at
> 7:00 pm tomorrow, when speakers from the Green, Liberal and NDP parties
> will discuss ranked ballots, etc.
> Below is a link to register for this webinar. *I am suggesting that we
> all register for this webinar which will be the first part of our meeting.*
> Then, we can all join the Zoom meeting to discuss the topic  after the
> webinar.  The link to the Zoom meeting is in an email from a few days ago.
> I will open the Zoom meeting at 7 pm, so that anyone not attending the
> webinar can join at 7.
>
> Please call me at 519 778-7397 if you need clarification about this plan
>
> *Multi-partisan webinar on democracy in Ontario, Nov 25 at 7pm
> <https://identity.leadnow.ca/clicks/link/7017/6d022cf8-d88e-4b5d-a8d9-5139177a3459?url=https%3A%2F%2Fzoom.us%2Fmeeting%2Fregister%2FtJMsf--vqzoiEtBNalOzkNnrBGLGwHbSBy0d%3Futm_source%3D%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dblast2020-11-19&member_guid=318867a7-37d4-47a7-970d-98520470f302>*
>
> Cathy

*Proportional representation delivers more of what YOU voted for!*
Sign the Declaration: www.fairvote.ca/declaration