[fvc-wat-disc] Fw: CBC KW article about the upcoming election

David dirks daviddirks at rogers.com
Mon May 2 16:25:40 EDT 2022

Sharing an article sent by Anita on the views of three area residents from the Market on the Prov election.  Some kudos to us for our owrk on PR.  The formatting is a little bit of a challenge but the read is quick.
David

Residing on the the Haldimand Tract promised to the Six Nations in 1784, the traditional lands of the Neutral, Anishinaabe, and Haudenosaunee peoples.

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Anita Nickerson <anita.nickerson at fairvote.ca>To: Chapters Google Group <fair-vote-canada-chapters at googlegroups.com>Sent: Monday, May 2, 2022, 02:11:55 PM EDTSubject: CBC KW article about the upcoming election
 The article talks to three voters at the market.
One displays a lot of the apathy/hopelessness around progress on an issue and mentions PR.
I find these articles encouraging when PR comes up spontaneously from the "person on the street." No coincidence that this is Waterloo Region, where we have an amazing team that's done a lot locally to push PR over many years!
The last fellow seems to lack an awareness of how our voting system works, but has the same sort of "why bother with a small party that can't govern" perspective of FPTP.

For our KW folks - there's a form at the bottom where you can mention your top issues.

Anita
P.S. Sorry about formatting problems below (just scroll through gray boxes)

>From feeling 'pretty happy' to 'a little bit pessimistic,' voters share top issues ahead of Ontario election

Social Sharing

   - Facebook
   - Twitter
   - Email
   - Reddit
   - LinkedIn

CBC K-W heard from voters at St. Jacobs Farmers’ Market
CBC News · Posted: May 02, 2022 6:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 36 minutes agoGlenn White (left), Yang Lu (centre) and William Gervais (right) at the St. Jacobs Farmers' Market on Thursday share their thoughts about the upcoming provincial election. (Kate Bueckert/CBC)3 comments
The provincial election is one month away.

To get a sense of how some people are feeling as campaigns prepare to get underway, CBC Kitchener-Waterloo visited the St. Jacobs Farmers' Market on Thursday to ask voters about their top concerns.

Those who shared their thoughts offered a wide perspective on what's important to them as voters head to the polls on June 2.

Premier does 'best he can'

William Gervais, of Kitchener, said he's happy with where Ontario is, as it appears the province is moving out of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"I think [Premier Doug] Ford's doing the best he can with everything going on in the circumstances. I'm just grateful that we're back open," he said.
William Gervais of Kitchener says he's pretty happy with the provincial government. (Kate Bueckert/CBC)
Gervais said he always votes and has already decided who to vote for in this election.

"I'm pretty happy with what's going on right now. I have no issues. I know a lot of people do. But, I mean, you hear these platforms and everything else, everybody talking, but they always complain about who did what and who did this and you didn't do this and you didn't do that," he said.

"Instead, I'd rather hear what's changing, what's your outlook and give us some new ideas. Not just, he didn't do this or she didn't do that … it doesn't matter. We need to have focus on what's changing."

'There's a lot of lost causes'

Yang Lu, of Waterloo, said she's already paying attention to next month's provincial election.

"I basically just look at, which way is the most sensible to vote? So sometimes I don't even look at candidates anymore, very sadly," she said.

Affordable housing was a top issue for her, but said she didn't think there was anything the province could do that would be "fast and efficient."
Yang Lu of Waterloo says she's interested in the provincial election, but also feels pessimistic about what politicians will actually do to improve things like affordable housing. (Kate Bueckert/CBC)
"I'm a little bit pessimistic in this. Yes. There's a lot of lost causes. Yes," she said.

She said it's too early to know who she'll cast a ballot for, although she said she often chooses between the NDP or Liberals.

"I would love to vote for Green. They have some good candidates and platform," she said, but added that because there's no proportional representation in Ontario, "it's kind of like throwing your vote in the water."

Concerns about long-term care

Glenn White, of Guelph, said he, his wife and their friends are very interested in the upcoming election. In particular, they're interested in hearing what the parties have to say about private long term care homes.

"A lot of people died that didn't need to die," he said of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"The Liberal Leader [Steven Del Duca] thought of canceling all private long-term care. I don't know if that's the answer, but the same standards that are in hospitals should be in long-term care homes."

White said he's part of an "older demographic" and he had concerns about long-term care even prior to the pandemic, including staffing levels.
Glenn White of Guelph says the future of long-term care homes is a top priority for himself, his wife and their friends in the upcoming provincial election. (Kate Bueckert/CBC)
"Nursing staff, I just feel for those people that are working their butts off to keep us out of hospitals and then when we get in there, they've got to look after us. And it's a problem," he said.

He said when it comes to who he'll cast his ballot for, he's still on the fence.

"I haven't decided. I still haven't heard the whole platform from the Conservatives," he said.

"I think [NDP Leader] Andrea Horvath needs to step up her game in getting her message across … and we do have a Green Party member."

Guelph's incumbent MPP is Green Party of Ontario Leader Mike Schreiner.

"I think it's important that we have a Green party member in there because he's very articulate. Do I vote for his party or do I vote for a party that I think will get in? So I'm not sure," White said.

We want to hear what's important to you in the time leading up to the Ontario provincial election on June 2.

Please fill out the form below to share your thoughts about your top issues.

If you're willing to be contacted by a reporter, or be on a voter panel on CBC K-W's The Morning Edition, please leave your contact information as well.