[fvc-wat-announce] New Fair Vote/CAPP Event May 26: We Are the Majority

lanickerson at b2b2c.ca lanickerson at b2b2c.ca
Wed May 11 10:43:10 EDT 2011

Hello Fair Vote supporters. Many of us had strong reactions to the election
results last week. The Fair Vote national office and Facebook pages were
flooded with thousand of messages. We may be looking forward with trepidation,
curiosity or hope to see what this government, which won a majority on 39% of
the popular vote and is faced with a strong left opposition, will mean for us
Canadians. How can we continue to have a say in our own democracy? I hope you
will join us, and invite friends, to discuss this very issue.

Canadians Advocating Political Participation and Fair Vote Canada Waterloo
Present:

"The Other Majority: Finding our Voice"
May 26, 7:30 PM
Adult Recreation Centre, 185 King St. S, Waterloo

The majority of Canadians did not vote for the party that won the majority of
seats in the last federal election. What does this mean for democracy? How can
we make our voices heard, and influence the government?

Gary Shaul, union activist with a focus on human rights and the environment, and
past Coordinator of recent Catch 22 Harper Conservatives strategic voting
campaign. Gary will address: How effective/ineffective was the huge push for
strategic voting, and why? What was learned from this election and the
strategic voting campaign? And most importantly, where do we go from here in
our common efforts to have a real voice in our democracy?

Steven Bradley Scott, a candidate for the Pirate Party of Canada in the riding
of Kitchener-Waterloo, will speak particularly about the Omnibus bill. Steven
will address: What is an omnibus bill? What does it mean for democracy? Should
we be concerned, and if so, what can we do now? Steven is interested in
bringing awareness of what is happening in parliament into our local community
by organizing a regular forum where we can all learn about and debate the bills
that are making their way through our House of Commons.

The speakers will be followed by town hall style discussion.

This event is free, non-partisan (and multi-partisan), and everyone is warmly
welcome! Refreshments provided.

Related groups, causes and parties are welcome to bring their literature for the
information table.

RSVP to the Facebook event page is appreciated - invite a friend or share this
event through Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=184105514973972

Poster attached.

If you would like more info, contact Anita lanickerson at b2b2c.ca