[fvc-wat-announce] Research related to event on Wednesday

Anita Nickerson anitann88 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 11:35:44 EST 2013

Hi everyone. This video on democracy and voter turnout was produced by the
Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.

http://www.policyalternatives.ca/multimedia/democracy-and-power-voting

Trish Hennessey, Director of the Growing Gap Project at CCPA is one of our
guest speakers on Wednesday.

You can read about the Growing Gap Project here:

http://www.policyalternatives.ca/projects/growing-gap

For those of you new to Fair Vote Canada, we also have Professor Brian
Tanguay joining us. Professor Tanguay was co-author of the groundbreaking
2004 Report by the Law Commission of Canada, "Voting Counts- Electoral
Reform for Canada", which recommended an open list MMP system. If we
succeed in our campaign to get a commitment to a process to deliver us
electoral reform from the parties out of the next federal election, the
important research and ideas in this report will no doubt be revisited by
Canadians:

http://s.fairvote.ca/files/VotingCountsElectoralReformforCanada.pdf?q=files/VotingCountsElectoralReformforCanada.pdf

Did you know there is substantial research connecting more inequality to
winner take all electoral systems, and less inequality to proportional
systems?Lijphart
<http://s.fairvote.ca/files/Lijphart_summary.pdf?q=files/Lijphart_summary.pdf>
also
connected proportionality (what he calls "consensus style democracy") to
better environmental protection. We are currently seeking a student to help
us do some work assessing this connection (need to know statistics) based
on the data in Lijphart's 2012 book, confident we will find that the
connection between better environmental protection and proportionality that
held true a few years ago is still true today.

If you are coming to the event as part of a group, or are affiliated with
other causes, we will have a display table for all brochures.

*Event Details:*

*Date and Time*: Wed Feb 20, 7 PM
*Where*: First United Church, Waterloo
Panel followed by facilitated workshop on connecting values underlying
advocacy on these three issues (environment, proportional representation,
equality). Free event, everyone welcome.
*Facebook page*: http://www.facebook.com/events/119259208251470/

Hope to see you Wednesday.

Anita