[fvc-wat-announce] [fvc-wat-disc] The ERRE Report Recommends PR & A Referendum

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 21:26:39 EST 2016

Hi Sean,

The "politics" comment is in part because clearly there was horse trading.
The NDP who have never supported a referendum moved their position to
accept a referendum to get a consensus.  Bringing forward a consensus
report was critical to keeping the initiative alive.  It could well be that
horse trading was necessary because the Liberals were not supporting PR.

And, that doesn't mean we are going to get a referendum.  On a good day, I
think the post card campaign is an opportunity to illustrate that there
isn't a need for a referendum. At this point the cabinet can do what it
wishes.  The weather vane can point in whichever direction the cabinet
wants it to point.

Minister Monsef has a knack for getting herself into political hot water.
I agree that her comments in the House today were very insulting and ill
advised.  Good chance that Minister Monsef will be shuffled out of that
portfolio at the first available opportunity.

Cheers,
Sharon