[fvc-wat-announce] FVC Meetings With MPs Harold Albrecht and Bardish Chagger

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 14:59:08 EST 2016

Dear FairVoting Friends,

Yesterday, FVC-WR met with Harold Albrecht, MP for Kitchener-Conestoga. We
had a very worthwhile discussion about his concerns regarding proportional
representation.  Mr. Albrecht raised the size of ridings in reducing access
of constituents to their MP, party control over candidates and the type of
PR used in Israel.   We assured Mr. Albrecht that no one is recommending
Israeli style PR for Canada and that a made in Canada PR solution must
ensure accountability and open lists for candidate selection.  Mr. Albrecht
stated that as long as we have a referendum on any new electoral system, he
could live with the outcome.

Our many thanks to Mr. Albrecht for his time and a collegial discussion
about electoral systems.  Mr. Albrecht will present our petition to
Parliament.

This morning we met with the Honourable Bardish Chagger, MP for Waterloo.
Minister Chagger was very enthusiastic about the engagement process as we
work toward electoral reform.  We spoke about the need for accurate
information on electoral systems to ensure that Canadians are educated
about the relevant electoral issues and can make informed choices without
being swayed by opinion.   Minister Chagger wants to work with our
community and across party lines to ensure that education on electoral
reform takes place in Waterloo Region.

Our many thanks to Minister Chagger for her time, support and agreeing to
present our petition to Parliament.

If you want more information on PR, our next monthly meeting is this
Monday, January 25th at the Egg Roll King, 85 Courtland in Kitchener.
Please join us!

And, our power point presentation is nearly finished!  If you are part of
any group that would like a presentation and discussion on electoral
systems and specifically proportional representation, we would be happy to
oblige.  Please be in touch!   We would like to thank Byron Weber-Becker
for his outstanding work and the enormous amount of time it has taken to
put our new presentation together.

All the best,
Sharon Sommerville
for FVC-WR