[fvc-wat-disc] Re: Waterloo FVC group

Steve Withers sbwithers at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 23:08:05 EDT 2007

All

The Vote for MMP Council looked at seeking Council endorsements.

They decided that asks to Councils would be best limited to aiding the
information campaign and informing voters....rather than supporting MMP
directly.

The reasoning was this:

1. Don't ask for an endorsement UNLESS you have already canvassed all
Councilors and KNOW you will have enough support to get it.

2. Getting these endorsements will take a lot of time probably best directed
at recruiting volunteers and raising money. Ottawa spent WEEKS on this and
was turned down.

3. If we get a few endorsements it might get the anti-MMP folk who actually
sit on many Councils to seek endorsements of FPTP....and we might lose that
pissing contest.

Of course, you can do what you like.....but keep these issues clearly in
view. The downside of failure is significant.

Steve

--
Steve Withers

Vote for MMP on Oct 10th