[fvc-wat-disc] Conference Fees

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri May 18 13:42:40 EDT 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Kevin Smith wrote:

> Just looked at the registration form for the June conference.  The
> fees are somewhat eye-popping:
 	Agreed.

> So for a low-income person, sure you can spend $15 to come to the
> weekend, but don't expect to eat.  You want to come to the party?
> Well, that'll cost ya.  Then there's transportation and/or
> accomodation.
 	Accomodation and transportation are the two that are hurting me. I
don't know whether I qualify as low-income, but even if I do shell out
for the basic no-food fee then I don't know where I would stay the night.
I would like to take mass transit to get there but that would be another
$40 at least, so unless somebody was willing to set up a carpool this
might be out of reach for me.

(I'm not so hot on the party, to be honest. "Celebrating the referedum
victory" is in my mind a bit premature.)

> This doesn't seem like a very accessible event to me, which is a
> shame, because I think it is important to build a diverse grassroots
> movement in order to win this referendum.
>
> I am planning to go, but I'm wondering how many others will be.

 	I was hoping we could discuss this at the volunteer meeting to se
if we could bring costs down for people. It might also be worth contacting
Larry to see whether there might be billeting arrangements available.

--
Paul Nijjar - http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
Next electoral reform info night: Tuesday June 12, 7pm