[fvc-wat-disc] It's not over

Richard Fairman richard.fairman at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 07:58:00 EDT 2007

Hello Everyone

Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement, Ari.  Here are mine.
I am disappointed and disheartened at the result because I believe that reason and good judgement must prevail.  Neither did last evening.

I do think however that we must have made some inroads in educating the electorate about the injustices and travesties within our current FPTP electoral system.  For an ethically deficient electoral system such as FPTP to be as successful as it was in last night's referendum, it must need to rest upon a broad base of ignorance.  Such is the case of, what many 19'th century philosophers refer to as, "the vulgar herd."

Ignorance and those corrupted and intoxicated by the disproportionate distribution of power within FPTP, along with their scare-mongering propaganda machine, are the foes to be overcome.  Reason must, in the end, prevail.
In my opinion, some strategic mistakes in the electoral campaign for electoral reform were:  toning down the rhetoric to "Make Democracy Better" rather than "Where's The Democracy?", proposing a compromise mixed system wherein comparisons of elected and unelected member scenario's are endless instead of pure PR wherein all members are elected equally the same way.

I plan to forge on with the mission of course.  It has been a pleasure to meet and know you all and I do hope we stay in touch somehow  Sharing your thoughts, ideas and convictions has strengthened my resolve.  Thanks.

Peace be upon you all.

Rick Fairman