[fvc-wat-disc] New email group available now ...

Alan Angold AlanAngold at rogers.com
Sun Oct 14 19:10:34 EDT 2007

Hi Adam,

   Actually I had suggested a YahooGroup because I was familiar with
YahooGroups.  However, Keven
had  mentioned the GoogleGroups and when I tried it out it seemed fairly
similar, perhaps a little more
functionality.  Either way I don't think we can go wrong and it probably
isn't worth the time or trouble
to worry about it too much.

    I believe Paul wanted to discontinue the FVC Waterloo Region
Discussion group because WPIRG
is paying for it and he didn't want to maintain any longer.   These
various Yahoo/Google groups
have done a very good job of the email part so it should be an easy
transition.  I haven't looked into
a replacement Wiki but I didn't know if Paul wanted to close down the
Wiki too.

    Certainly cohesion is important but I'm not sure where you're seeing
a problem unless it is with the
transition to the new group.

    Some nice features of the new email group are that its web interface
allows the user to modify their
account fairly easily, we can store files and pictures, and we can read
the email messages on the
web page of the group (if we wish) rather then sorting them on our own
machines.  Google also takes
care of all the maintenance and administration and costs.  We just have
to use it.

Take care,
/Alan

Adam Glauser wrote:
> On Sunday 14 October 2007 15:34:58 Alan Angold wrote:
>
>> I've set up a GoogleGroup for everybody.
>>

> Thanks for putting in the effort to do that Alan.  I appreciate that you want
> to help so please don't take this as critism.  What is the benefit of a
> Google Group over the current mailing list software?
>
> I think we need to make a decision as a group as to how we will stay connected
> in future.  I believe a Yahoo group was also suggested.  Let's look at what
> we like and don't like about our current setup (mailing list + wiki).  Then
> we can decide if we more or different means of communication and
> organization.
>
> I'm a bit concerned (due to experience with other online groups) that if we
> start having multiple places for communicating, we will all just get confused
> and miss out on important information.
>
> Personally, I'm happy with the software we're using right now, but I'm willing
> to discuss alternatives.

Alan Angold <AlanAngold at rogers.com>
549 Sandbrooke Court, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2T 2H4
Home:(519) 747-5535