[fvc-wat-disc] The Government Wants To Know!

Laurel L. Russwurm laurel.l at russwurm.org
Wed Aug 3 20:00:18 EDT 2016

Dear Paul:

Here's the thing: Canada is really big, and part of the business of
governing a really bug country is not ignoring the hard to get to bits,
like Nunavut.   If it is expensive for government to send a committee
there, think how much harder it might be for the people who live there
to get to Ottawa.

    The members of the Legislative Assembly ofNunavut
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunavut>are also elected individually;
    there are no parties and the legislature is consensus-based. The
    head of Nunavut’s government is a premier, who is elected by and
    from the the elected members of the legislative assembly.

    What an amazing idea! Why don’t we adopt this system for the country?

    --  "Canadian Electoral Reform #1: If I ran the zoo… er country"
    (from one of my earliest Whoa!Canada blog posts)
    https://whoacanada.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/canadian-electoral-reform-1-if-i-ran-the-zoo-er-country/

Assuming they haven't adopted FPTP since 2010, far as I can see, Nunavut
is one of the places the Committee needs to go to learn about other ways
of doing government.

I too hope FVC is doing something about getting people to these
consultation stops.

Regards,
Laurel

Laurel L. Russwurm, Author <http://laurel.russwurm.org/blogs/> §