[fvc-wat-disc] The Government Wants To Know!

Laurel L. Russwurm laurel.l at russwurm.org
Wed Aug 3 21:32:30 EDT 2016

Dear Paul and Jenn:

I know Jenn is good people, and I apologize if it came out sounding
harsh.  That was not my intent.

My understanding of Fair Vote's openly multipartisan stance is that it
is an acknowledgement that politics are partisan in Canada, which has a
very big impact on the goals of Fair Vote WRC.  Meaningful electoral
reform is not a partisan issue, but as we are all very much aware, there
are many in both the alternating governing parties who make it so,
because PR will limit their ability to wield 100% power.

In the past I have been party to more than one conversation with my
Liberals for Fair Voting friends (including Jenn) about strategies to
get around partisan resistance to electoral reform.

My intent was to try to get across why I think this is a problem to Jenn
(and any other LPC folk on this list).  If it is possible for an LPC
insider like Jenn to pass along how an electoral reform Town Hall with a
visiting Cabinet Minister in attendance is likely to play out, or at
least what it will look like to non-Liberals, it might be helpful in
bringing change.  The biggest advantage we have in the electoral reform
issue is public opinion.  We know LPC (unlike CPC) cares about the optics.

It doesn't matter that we have an LPC government that can force change
on Canada, the single most important thing that must happen during this
consultation is that some Conservative support must be generated.  This
is why it is so important for the process to be very public, and for
Conservatives to feel included.   An unceasing unified unflinching CPC
opposing change or demanding referendum could sink this like a stone.
It is in none of our interests (including the LPC) to get a reasonable
form of PR implemented only to have a public backlash that results in
reinstating an CPC majority after the next election.

Regards,
Laurel

Laurel L. Russwurm, Author <http://laurel.russwurm.org/blogs/> §
about.me <http://about.me/laurelrusswurm> § Libreleft Books