[fvc-wat-disc] Monsef no electoral reform.

Donald Fraser donaldafraser at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 00:14:52 EST 2016

Listening carefully to this interview ...

 Evan cornered Monsef on

1. all the committee members except Liberals (wow Cons?) say they have
heard that the people want PR ... so what if the committee recommends PR?
... she will take it seriously ... but said she knows what she heard,
implying that she has heard differently ... which we all dispute
2. what if the committee recommends a referendum ... she doesn't like
referenda because not enough people participate and they are divisive ...
(I don't want a referendum but for different reasons (voter apathy re
educating themselves first))
3. if you don't listen to the committee and don't have a referendum how
will you determine the broad consensus that you seek? ... she mentioned the
mail-out question and called it a 'digital' ask ... I guess that means we
respond online.

In summary ... we aren't getting it, no matter what the indications are.

In the back of my mind, I still have the idea that the Liberal machine
wants to enjoy a couple of majorities and THEN we might get it when it
looks like power is fading ... Even if they were to get a surprise
minority, they could always count on NDP and Green support for PR. I would
rather have that than get a non-PR solution now.

But I just can't fathom Conservative support for PR ... can you? ... they
will never ever get another majority ... I just don't believe it.