[fvc-wat-disc] Results of the mydemocracy.ca survey are available

Anita Nickerson anitann88 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 22:58:09 EST 2017

So far now Jenn and I are a fan club of two in a sea of people calling the
results crap.

I know the survey was bad - I wrote the guide to navigate the awful
questions.

But what's crap right now is the way the media is spinning it. It reminds
me of the BC STV referendum - 58% said yes but STV was "rejected". Really?

"Survey says Canadians love our system!" says the media!

They weren't even ASKED about our system. If they were asked how many like
FPTP I'm sure the usual 30-40% would say "great stuff".

What Canadians love - according to mydemocracy.ca which probably 300,000
people - is *MULTI-PARTY governments that have to make legislation
together. *Seriously, that's what it says. About four questions all
reinforcing that.

People also said they want to express their preferences even if it takes
longer for ballots to be counted and they want more diversity of views in
Parliament.

Even that awful question - "do you want a few big parties or many small
parties" - what a stupid choice which reminds me of "do you want stability
or a big zoo of wingdings" - 41% of people said they want "many small
parties." I couldn't imagine more than 20% saying that. That 41% said "many
small parties" is not a stat I'd make a poster of but I think it's
significant.

My own opinion is, the survey was designed with skewed questions probably
so the gov't could say "no consensus" and "look, people don't want change".
It came back loud and clear that people think we can do better than 39%
majorities.

Anita