[fvc-wat-disc] Results of the mydemocracy.ca survey are available

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Jan 25 01:09:47 EST 2017

Lipstick on a pig.

mydemocracy.ca was a flawed survey: it allowed a self-selected set of respondents; it had no controls for respondents answering multiple times; it had no controls for geographic location of respondents; it asked leading, ambiguous questions with no clear answers. The response rate was under 1% of Canadians (or maybe under 2% of  eligible voters). There was absolutely no scientific validity to this survey, and so any conclusions drawn are completely invalid, even if they do happen to grasp at a favourable straw.

I would pay attention to how the media is spinning this: "Canadians are happy with their democracy, no electoral reform needed."

The real tragedy is that $350,000 was wasted on this, compared to the $250,000 ERRE budget.

This Liberal government will take this as permission to break another election promise.

--Bob

On January 24, 2017 10:58:09 PM EST, Anita Nickerson <anitann88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>So far now Jenn and I are a fan club of two in a sea of people calling
>the
>results crap.
>
>I know the survey was bad - I wrote the guide to navigate the awful
>questions.
>
>But what's crap right now is the way the media is spinning it. It
>reminds
>me of the BC STV referendum - 58% said yes but STV was "rejected".
>Really?
>
>"Survey says Canadians love our system!" says the media!
>
>They weren't even ASKED about our system. If they were asked how many
>like
>FPTP I'm sure the usual 30-40% would say "great stuff".
>
>What Canadians love - according to mydemocracy.ca which probably
>300,000
>people - is *MULTI-PARTY governments that have to make legislation
>together. *Seriously, that's what it says. About four questions all
>reinforcing that.
>
>People also said they want to express their preferences even if it
>takes
>longer for ballots to be counted and they want more diversity of views
>in
>Parliament.
>
>Even that awful question - "do you want a few big parties or many small
>parties" - what a stupid choice which reminds me of "do you want
>stability
>or a big zoo of wingdings" - 41% of people said they want "many small
>parties." I couldn't imagine more than 20% saying that. That 41% said
>"many
>small parties" is not a stat I'd make a poster of but I think it's
>significant.
>
>My own opinion is, the survey was designed with skewed questions
>probably
>so the gov't could say "no consensus" and "look, people don't want
>change".
>It came back loud and clear that people think we can do better than 39%
>majorities.
>
>Anita
>
>On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Jennifer Ross <2jennross at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I don't know what TL:DR means, but I did read the very clear and
>> unequivocal call for coalition governments--three different
>questions, all
>> three were in the 70% range for it.  I did read where people don't
>really
>> care how long it takes to count the ballots as long as they have
>choice on
>> the ballots.  I read a bunch of things that were slightly one way or
>the
>> other, but for the most part, I thought it was remarkably in our
>favour!
>>
>> I frankly don't understand why people are crapping on it.
>>
>> Tomorrow will be a great discussion night!
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com>
>wrote:

>>> istserv.thinkers.org

> [...]

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> Phone: +1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software --- Office & Business Automation --- Consulting