[fvc-wat-disc] Meeting with Bardish

Stephanie Janzen-Martin stephanie at janzenmartin.net
Tue Nov 21 14:09:46 EST 2017

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I definitely appreciate it. :)

I have also been left wondering what I'm missing. From what I have seen, a
simple request has turned into some significant accusations. To me, this
risks taking us off topic and creating other problems. If people are coming
to the meeting viewing Bardish as a corrupt politician, I'm really
concerned that will creep into the approach, even if people try to cover it
up. That would be a loss for everybody, in my opinion.We may disagree with
her on a policy piece, but there is nothing to be gained by going in
viewing her as someone who engages in political intimidation - if anything,
that approach will result in a poorly worded pitch, and create exactly the
defensiveness we are already accusing her of.

So, from my perspective, I see a simple misunderstanding (which, as far I
can tell, nobody has tried to clear up with Bardish's office), and an
opportunity to engage in a respectful policy discussion with a real human
being, who is, presumably, doing her best in the midst of challenging
circumstances. Doesn't mean everybody likes every decision - that's what
discussion and accountability are for. :)

 If the group is approaching Bardish with a positive perspective (as a
human being, who we agree with on many things, and are nudging a change on
one thing), instead of a politician who is out to intimidate and suppress
opposition, I am very happy to be part of the meeting. I have always found
her lovely to work with, even through some challenging times. I hope to see
that continue. :)

Just my thoughts,

SJM