[fvc-wat-disc] Cathe voted for Guy Caron, strongest PR candidate and NDPs best vote getter in 2019 and scariest for PM Trudeau

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 12:26:02 EDT 2017

A ranked ballot within an MMP system would still give you the two votes.
Just if your most preferred candidate is eliminated, that 'first' vote
would go to the next candidate on your list.

I should also mention that your second vote might not do anything if your
first vote was successful.  Let's say Bob magically ran in Waterloo rather
than Kit-Con, and you ranked your first vote for Bob because, well, its
BOB!  Then you ranked second the NDP candidate, and your party vote went to
the NDP.  Let's say the NDP candidate won the riding contest (sorry, Bob!)
So now the NDP doesn't need to top up its representation in the region,
because the riding level MP provides the suitable representation in
proportion to the votes cast.

It becomes interesting if Bob would have won that scenario because your
first vote would have 'counted' so do you still get your second vote for
the different party?  I think you do!

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Donald Fraser <donaldafraser at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes, and that's why I prefer FPTP for candidate vote in MMPR ... each
> voter gets 2 votes, one for candidate and one for party ... BUT the
> candidate vote counts for the party of the candidate's party EVEN IF THE
> CANDIDATE LOSES ... this allows a voter to vote for a candidate of a
> different party than the voter's chosen party ... it also means that if a
> voter's candidate loses in the riding, the voter still has both votes
> counted.
>
> On 15 September 2017 at 12:47, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

>> istserv.thinkers.org

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.