[fvc-wat-disc] Even NDP win won't stop Ford

David dirks daviddirks at rogers.com
Tue Jun 5 14:43:41 EDT 2018

Evan, thank you for this analysis.
David

    On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 2:32 PM, Evan Rosamond <erosamond at worldline.ca> wrote:

  Sharon, you are right about Erin Kelly's non-explanation of Poli. I think she's got a lot of virtual voters running around inside a VLC (very large computer), but I could be wrong. At any rate, Artificial Intelligence is cool, partly because nobody can understand it. However, Poli's forecasts seem to agree pretty closely with Eric Grenier's, so maybe there's some accuracy there.

 Eleanor, yes we do need PR because of that 'efficiency' thing. I find the term misleading. It seems to make a case that odd results are OK because of something virtuous that the parties have done. There is no truth to that. Here's an explanation of efficiency using numbers from Grenier's poll tracker this afternoon.

| Party | Popular Vote  | Proportional Seats | Projected Seats | Power of a Vote |
| NDP | 0.361 | 45 | 48
  | 1.067 |
| PC | 0.376 | 47 | 74 | 1.574 |
| Lib | 0.199 | 25 | 2
  | 0.080 |
| Grn | 0.050 | 6 | 0 | 0.000 |
| Oth | 0.014 | 2 | 0 | 0.000 |

  | 1.000 | 124 | 124 |

 The Power of a Vote column is the ratio of Projected/Elected Seats to Proportional Seats. This represents the relative power of a single vote for each party. So the PCs stand to gain a 57% bonus. This is said to be efficient because PC votes are spread across the province fairly evenly. But look at the Liberals. They also  have spread out votes, but 92% of them won't count.

 Evan