[fvc-wat-disc] GREEN-NDP alliance?

David dirks daviddirks at rogers.com
Tue Apr 30 11:03:04 EDT 2019

 Is this not why we need/want electoral reform so as not to be in a position like this?
David

    On Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 9:08:24 AM EDT, Jonathan Cassels <cassels.jon at gmail.com> wrote:

 None at all, in my opinion. They can't merge, the Green constitution makes that virtually impossible, as it requires 90% support and a majority vote at a party convention -- something they don't have time to do before the election, even if they had a hope of passing. By law, they can't coordinate during the election. And I'm unsure what a "pre-election alliance" would look like. They both advocate for environmental policy and election reform today, saying "We are now allied in advocating for the things we already advocated for" doesn't really change the status quo.

In theory, Green local riding associations (which have way more freedom than the NDP equivalent) could individually opt not to run candidates in this election. There was one out west somewhere who chose to do that in 2015 to help the ABC movement. But that can't be coordinated, and it's unclear that a majority of Green supporters would go to the NDP in most ridings.

The Maclean's article is a cynical attempt to collect clicks by arguing in favour of something which has some surface level appeal, but which the author knows is a practical impossibility.

Unless there's some manner in which the parties could help one another which I haven't thought of?