[fvc-wat-disc] Material for door to door discussions

Donald Fraser donaldafraser at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 23:26:15 EDT 2019

The 'discovery' method is the best way to teach ... when students have a
eureka moment and the light goes on, you've won them over ... hard to
implement when teaching physics though, since you have to cover 400 years
of 'discovery' by Nobel prize winners.

For door-to-door, there's no time for discovery ... the host is probably
busy with a million things on his/her mind and in a hurry ... you must use
talking points (ugh) ...

1. 23% of the vote gets 23% of the seats
2. every vote counts equally
3. no need to vote strategically - you can vote your conscience
4. the cross section (party share of seats) of coalition government varies
little from election to election, so the current government tweaks and
improves the legislation of the previous government instead of gutting it.
GOOD FOR LONG TERM PLANNING!

NEVER get into the nitty gritty of how to accomplish the dividing up of
seats ... it doesn't matter to the voter and such discussion only
reinforces anti-PR propaganda that PR is impossible to understand ...
UNLESS the host insists ... then go ahead, but use the SIMPLEST example of
PR possible!

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>