[fvc-wat-disc] would you be intersted in working with

Anita Nickerson anitann88 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 12:54:57 EDT 2021

Hi everyone.

Just FYI that Fair Vote Canada already endorses lowering the voting age to
16 - a position we adopted about six years ago. Last summer we had a good
chat with Marilou McPhedran about her campaign and when there's significant
developments in that campaign we share that in support.

https://www.fairvote.ca/2020/05/22/vote16/

There is a separate campaign for the same thing in BC by Dogwood and our
FVC-BC team is an endorser.

Feel free to retweet/share her campaign on twitter/facebook from a FVC
local account. But really we don't have time/resources to put towards
campaigning towards this much more actively and there's not much of a local
aspect that I can see.

In terms of Unlock Democracy, we work in a complimentary way to Dave
Meslin's local choice campaign in Ontario periodically. I would imagine the
next time that's active will be after the next election if Ford doesn't win.

On a separate note, we're having an ONTARIO chapters meeting soon. I'll
send the date/time/link when I have it. We'll be talking about what teams
can do locally in the next year to make sure we have things in place before
the next Ontario election. Looking forward to hearing everyone's ideas and
local plans!

Anita

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 11:59 AM R.D.K via fvc-wat-disc <
fvc-wat-disc at listserv.thinkers.org> wrote:

> Lowering the voting age to 16 borders on irresponsible at best and is
> immediately obvious as a 'backdoor' way of subverting the concept of
> democracy based upon an informed electorate in order to further intrench
> leftist ideas by harnessing the well meaning but often poorly informed
> idealists.
>
> "Show me a conservative young man, I'll show you a man with no heart
> Show me a old liberal and I'll show you a man without brains"
>
> We know that good judgement comes from maturity and the science is united
> that this doesn't occur till late 20's ....
>
> If anything....the arguement should be for increasing the voter
> age.....not lowering it
>
> R.D.
>
> On Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 11:15:12 a.m. EDT, Jennifer Ross <
> 2jennross at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi everyone, can I be on the discussion list as well as the whatever it
> was that I'm supposed to send my email to David Dirks?  (sorry, forgot!
> Please consider me for that.)  Thanks, Peter!
>
> Unlock Democracy is Dave Meslin, so he is in part already an ally (then
> again he's also the ranked ballot in Single Member Pluralities advocate, so
> in that respect an opponent, but I'm hopeful the Unlock Democracy part is
> more ally than opponent--NOT SURE!)
>
> I believe Fair Vote Canada has reached out to Senator McPhedran but I have
> no details in my brain.
>
> Jenn
> Bookkeeping Services
> 519-501-2736
> No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
> the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.
>

> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:48 AM Peter Croves <petercroves at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> oh, these are the only emails I have, you were going to send me the others
> when you got them!,so if all is ok with it!. and I can find the letter
> again!. do you want me to send the letter to  UNLOCK Democracy Canada?--yes
> Senators can put forward bills just as MP's, the only real difference
> between them is all bills must go to the Senate for approval and any bill
> from an MP or Senator  is read, debated and can be changed before it goes
> to a final vote after three readings in its finale from, once a bill passes
> the Senate, it becomes Law and goes to the GG for Royal  approval, in
> theory, the GG has the right to reject a law if it's deemed not in the
> interests of the Nation, but in practice, the GG Just puts the Royal stamp
> on the bill[paper] to make it official, I think the last time a GG
> rejected a Law was in the 1930s and that kick off the PM so much, he calls
> an election on the issue[with the ok of the GG, as the PM cannot call an
> election without the ok of the GG, during the election, most agreed with
> the view point of the PM and in throy[paitace], since then the GG must go
> along with anylaw and do what the PM wants[but by law the GG still has the
> [...]

*Proportional representation delivers more of what YOU voted for!*
Sign the Declaration: www.fairvote.ca/declaration