[fvc-wat-disc] Fwd: Fw: Possibly dumb question on FPTP... FPTP VERSUS ACTUAL RACING....

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 10:16:17 EST 2018

Hello All,

Long time fair voting supporter, Harold Remus, asked that his comments
regarding the origins of FPTP be passed on to the group.  Below are his
thoughts on the subject.

With thanks,
Sharon
From: Harold Remus <hremus at golden.net>
Date: Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 10:17 PM
Subject: Fw: [fvc-wat-disc] Possibly dumb question on FPTP... FPTP VERSUS
ACTUAL RACING....
To: Sharon Sommerville <sharonsommerville at gmail.com>
Cc: Anita Nickerson <anita.nickerson at fairvote.ca>, arthurd23 at bell.net

Sharon, could you please pass this on to others?  Thank you!

In our electoral system what Mr. Arthur writes is absolutely true:  There
is only one winner; the rest might have just as well have stayed in the
starting gate or ambled around the track.

In actual horse racing, however, one horse does not take all if it comes in
first.  There are second and third place winners as well.
This is reflected in pari-mutuel wagering:  you bet *win (1st)*, or place
(2d), or show (3rd)..
    http://turfnsport.com/win-place-show-wagering/
Another contrast to Trudeau’s FPTP is that the track authorities don’t
change these rules from one day to the next or one meet or one season to
the next..

The FPTP advocates know that in voting there is only “win.”  No place, no
show.  Winner takes all.  Doesn’t make Horse Sense.  OR Democratic Sense.

But if you are inclined to think that you can maybe get a “majority”
government with 1/3 of the 50% of the electorate that shows up at the
polls, well, of course, you go for it, despite any promises you may have
made.

*Lost:  INTEGRITY   / DEMOCRACY*

hr